Courtney L. Vien
RIVAL HEALTH (RALEIGH, NC)
2014 – present
Conceptualize, write, and edit brochures, one-pagers, fact sheets, website content, case studies, white papers, and other marketing materials. Advise Rival Health’s leadership team, web designers, and graphic designers on messaging and promotion of brand.
- Position Rival Health as a thought leader by crafting white papers and case studies grounded in research and client feedback.
- Use such tools as HubSpot, Google Analytics, and Google AdWords to gain actionable insights into customer behavior.
APOLLO GROUP (APOLLO RESEARCH INSTITUTE)
2011 – 2013
Wrote books, articles, reports, white papers, video and presentation scripts, and other content-marketing materials. Oversaw the work of freelance writers, editors, and designers, ensuring quality, accuracy, and compliance with Chicago or APA style.
- Wrote and edited Women Lead: Career Perspectives from Workplace Leaders (Peter Lang, 2013), a book that draws upon interviews with more than 200 female executives and entrepreneurs to explore the advances women have made in the workforce.
- Organized the structure and content of live events and webinars featuring scholars and executives from organizations that included Facebook, the Milken Institute, and the National Association of Manufacturers. Wrote and assisted with the design of reports, brochures, and other collateral materials for such events.
APOLLO GROUP (UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX RESEARCH INSTITUTE)
2010 – 2011
Wrote and oversaw the production of books, articles, reports, and other publications. Supervised the work of freelance writers, designers, and editors.
- Authored four full-color, 100-page books on nontraditional students, collaborating with freelance writers, editors, and designers to produce compelling, well-researched, and attractive volumes.
- Wrote articles that appeared in the Chronicle of Higher Education, Talent Management magazine, the League for Innovation in the Community College, and elsewhere.
APOLLO GROUP (UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX KNOWLEDGE NETWORK)
2009 – 2010
Managed a team of five freelance writers who produced 144 articles for phoenix.edu, maintaining high standards of quality, precision, and style.
- Wrote numerous articles for phoenix.edu that blended scholarly research and emotional appeal while examining topics such as first-generation college students, Latino students, working mothers, small business owners, technology, and job skills.
ADDITIONAL RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
- Freelance writer and editor
- Co-author and editor of Employed for Life (Peter Lang, 2014)
- Member of web content and fundraising teams, Independent Animal Rescue
- Blogger, Chicken Feet and Clam Chowdah
- Member, Durham Writers’ Group
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill